St. George was originally known as George’s Station on the South Carolina Railroad, . (Now known as Norfolk Southern Railroad) which took its name from prominent resident and large land owner James George.
The Town of St. George was incorporated by an act of the Legislature on January 28, 1875. Through the years the town grew and eventually became a popular stop by tourists from the north on their way to Florida using US Highway 15. With the building of interstate 26 and interstate 95, the tourist trade became less and less. However, St. George currently remains a popular stop along these routes with four Heritage Corridor Discovery Pathways meeting in St. George near the crossroads of US 15 and US 78.
With the influx of new industry and new residents, St. George is on a pathway of growth and expansion.